Thursday, January 14, 2010

A Doorway to Endless Possibilities!

Welcome to 2010, dear Reader! Glad to see you made it. I read somewhere that the month of January is named after the god “Janus”—the god of doors. January is not only the gateway to the New Year, but a doorway to endless possibilities!

It is with a sense of wonderment and adventure that I sit here now and consider those possibilities:

There is the 2010 AHWA story competition. My mission is to cobble together a couple of decent entries for that. The deadline for submissions is in May, so I better get cracking. I didn’t realise how tough the competition is; and really didn’t expect to win last year. I was very surprised when I did. I would have been happy with a commendation. But you know what they say: if you aim for the stars, you might find you can't quite reach, but you won’t end up with a hand full of dirt, either.

My focus this year is to re-write some of my earlier stuff, which, for obvious reasons, I had trouble placing, and try and find appropriate homes for those stories. But overall I would like to spend less time on short stories and more time on completing some longer works. Short stories are fun (and they will always serve as a nice little escape for me), but bigger and better things await!

On another note, I spent some time with the family at beautiful Nelson Bay over the Christmas–New Year break. While I was there, I came across the scariest looking tree I’ve ever seen. Thought I’d share a pic of it with you; see if you agree:


Best wishes for the New Year, dear Reader. And remember to squeeze as much out of the next 365 days as you can!

No comments:

Post a Comment